[sayit block=”1″ lang=”en-GB” speed=”1″]Anathema[/sayit]
- a person or thing detested or loathed: That subject is anathema to him.
- a person or thing accursed or consigned to damnation or destruction.
- a formal ecclesiastical curse involving excommunication.
- any imprecation of divine punishment.
- a curse; execration.
1520–30; < Latin < Greek: a thing accursed, devoted to evil, orig. devoted, equivalent to ana ( ti ) thé ( nai ) to set up + -ma noun suffix
- Normally, such lack of distinction would be anathema .
- Blind faith is anathema to science.
- She is among the golfers who contend that carts are anathema to the sport.
- Tax increases are anathema , but contrary to common belief, there are few easy